How Time-Management Increases Your Confidence
Have you ever attempted to get a meeting with someone important, and when you called their office, the receptionist said they need to check their schedule to see if they can fit you in? Every single successful person in the world manages their time. They may design their own daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly schedules, or they may have a receptionist or personal secretary to do it. Regardless of how they do it, every single successful, confident person in history knows that their time is money.
Imagine that you are a manager, and you wanted to get a task done by the end of the week. You wanted two different perspectives, so you decided to give the duty to two different employees. One who always sets a strict schedule and adequately manages their time to meet deadlines and another person who just wings it without proper time management. Who do you think has a higher chance of not completing their task by the end of the week? And who has a higher chance of completing their task? In 99.99% cases, the person who has prioritized their to do list, set a schedule, and adequately managed their time will always complete their to do list on time. There is only a 0.01% chance that the person who did not correctly manage their time will complete their tasks, and this is the result of chance or luck. Otherwise, the chances are virtually zero.
From the example above, it is clear a person with time-management skills has more chances of success in all aspects of life. Time management skills will help the person increase his confidence because he has planned what his next move is, and he is always working towards a goal and not jumping from one task to another. As more and more objectives get completed successfully, the confidence begins to increase. Furthermore, the planning of the future, will take all his anxiety away. This provides him with mental peace and relaxation, which is also crucial for building confidence. In addition, knowing that when he planned what his day, week, month, quarter, or year looks like he is always better prepared. This preparation will also increase your confidence.
I want you to think of it as a game of chess. Would any good chess player randomly move one of their chess pieces? All great chess players plan their next moves to get their desired results and they don’t just randomly move a chess piece without thinking about what the next move is. They even try to guess their opponents next move in advance and plan a strategy accordingly. As their planned play goes in their favor, their confidence increases.
Likewise, when you correctly manage your time, you are preparing for your next move with more confidence. This means you will not get distracted with trivial tasks, and you will complete your task on time or before time.
Time Management is Important for Personal Development:
Personal development is the process of improving oneself through activities that improve awareness, develop new talents and skills, and building personal wealth. Time management is one of the most important skill to tweak for someone seeking to improve their personal development. The entire process of personal development enhances quality of life, helps you to be a better person, and helps you build your confidence. Being able to properly manage your time is crucial because if a person does not have any time management skills, he will not be able to do anything on time, and all his personal development activities will suffer which will in turn destroy self-confidence.
Proper time management improves your productivity and thus helps you perform better. When you start performing better, you start to gain more confidence and believe that you can do it. This is a never-ending cycle, as your time is managed correctly, your productivity increases, you are ultimately increasing your confidence. As your confidence increases, your body will crave more of it, and you will continue to fuel the cycle.
As we can see in the diagram above, without proper time management, you will not be able to improve your productivity. With no improvements in productivity, your confidence will start to decline.
How to Manage Your Time?
By now, you are probably wondering how you can manage your time. While time-management is a very complicated topic, I will briefly cover some essential steps.
- Time-audit: To manage your own time, you need first know how you spend your time. Therefore, you need to analyze it. Maybe you spend 30 minutes a day on social media, 2 hours in the gym, 1 hour at lunch, etc. For a day or two, or even a week (the longer the better) keep a detailed log of everything you do in a day. Log, what time you wake up, how much time you spend brushing your teeth, taking a shower, eating food, at work, at the gym, on social media, writing emails, etc.
- Plan ahead: Starting a day without a plan is one of the worst things to do. Instead of focusing on what needs to be done, you are wasting time aimlessly with irrelevant stuff. Therefore, start planning in advance for the day, week, month, or year.
- Set time-limits for Goals & Tasks: I always recommend prioritizing your tasks by importance and attacking the more important one first even if it is longer or difficult. You might feel you accomplished a lot when you attack the smaller tasks but in reality, the bigger one might be 90% of your work, while all the smaller ones might only add up to 10%. You might think crossing off many smaller tasks is a big accomplishment but in reality, if you attack the one task that was 90% important, you have accomplished a lot more. Setting a deadline to when you want each task to be complete by is always essential and keeps you moving towards your end goal. As each task is completed, cross them off your list.
- Eliminate half-work: When you decide to complete a task, finish it. If you are working on a report, don’t randomly stop to check your phone, social media, or email for no reason. This prolongs your task from being completed.
- Leave buffer-time: You may think jumping from one task to another is a good use of time, but in reality, it has the opposite effect. You need to recharge your mind and body with breaks. This also gives you some time to correct any mistakes that were made.
The above discussion clearly states why time management is essential for self-confidence. Time management is a skill most important for personal development, self-improvement, and self-empowerment. This leads to the ultimate confidence-building, which increases the confidence in you that you can do it. Your confidence allows you to even achieve further goals.
So, the final answer to our question, “How Time-Management Increases Your Confidence?” is that time management helps us build confidence by increasing our productivity. As our productivity increases, our confidence increases, which is essential for our personal development. It enables us to plan our next move.
Dr. Christian has extensive experience in medicine, specifically in neurology, psychiatry, and behavioral science. His experience and understanding of the mind and the human body have allowed him to create many types of systems to improve one’s confidence in a variety of situations, including but not limited to public speaking, socializing, dating, sales, marking, and trader psychology.